‘I find mainstream media empty and boring’

French bass baritone Laurent Naouri reveals why opera will never achieve mass popularity

Laurent Naouri who began his career with the title role of Milhaud’s Christopher Columbus and has gone on to perform for a variety of roles since then, is slated to perform Schumann’s Dichterliebe; various lieders from Schubert and music by Rachmanioff with pianist Maciej Pikulski later this week. The singer admits that there are a great number of musicians that have influenced his work. “I could name Leonard Bernstein, for his incredible versatility and ability to communicate with the audience, and Bill Evans, my major influence on the jazz scene. Singers such as George London, Maria Callas in opera, Anita O’ Day and Mark Murphy have had a great impact on me. But ask me the same question again and I’ll come up with 10 different answers, for there are indeed so many amazing musicians around!” says Laurent. He confesses that he’s not that acquainted with Indian music. Still, he’s seen Ustad Zakir Hussain and Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia on stage quite a few times in Paris and found them “absolutely mind-blowing!” The singer is frank that the response to opera and classical music by younger audiences is minimal. “Opera lovers tend to be on the old side, around the world, it’s a fact; but I do have my share of young fans. The radio and internet is saturated with easy-to-digest, short formatted music, and it leaves little room for styles needing some time to be enjoyed fully,” he says. When asked if he sees opera music making its way into mainstream media, the singer doesn’t mince his words. “Rather less and less, it seems to me. But I don’t mind that, I find the content of mainstream media more and more empty and boring!” His performance in the city will not comprise theatre but mostly love songs in Russian, French and German. Next on the cards for Laurent is some Shakespearian projects — playing the character of Falstaff and Jago.

No comments:

Post a Comment